Tuesday, December 1, 2015

Good-bye Pregnancy...

Our family!!
Actually, this is probably a more accurate depiction of our life now... :)
How far along? 39 weeks and 2 days...although according to the doctor's due date, I was an even 40 weeks.  You win this time around, science.
Total weight gain: 34 pounds...WHICH, by the way, is something I totally don't mind talking about but...let me start by saying this: I managed to make it almost all the way through my pregnancy without ANY strange pregnancy-related interactions with strangers.  I had several pleasant and helpful ones, but nothing weird or awkward until the VERY LAST WEEK of my pregnancy.  And then the crazies came out of the woodwork.  I had one lady rub my belly like a Magic 8 Ball...seriously, she rubbed aaallll around it. And then on very the day I went into labor, I was at Walmart buying a new coffee machine and was stopped by a woman who asked me if I'd ever been to Trader Joe's.  She then proceeded to tell me how I shouldn't buy any food at Walmart because it's all "bad for baby" and she ONLY shops at Trader Joe's and Whole Foods.  First of all, lady...you're clearly a little late in the game to be talking to me about my pregnancy diet.  Second of all, your grocery bill must be outrageous.  Just sayin'.  THEN she asks,  "So how much weight have you gained?"  UM!!!  And not in an "Oh my gosh, you look so great!  You can't have gained any weight during this pregnancy!" way but in a "Let me scrutinize every morsel you've put in your mouth over the last 10 months" way.  And then she really and truly did give me an analysis of whether that was an appropriate amount of weight to gain or not. (It was, because she gained 30 lb. during her pregnancy and was back to her pre-pregnancy weight immediately after pushing out her baby. Yeah right, if your baby weighed 20 POUNDS) Oh man...I really wish I could've seen her reaction to me putting down Hostess Cupcakes a few months ago like my life depended on it.  Folks, can we just all agree that asking strangers about their weight isn't super polite? Kgreatthanx.  Oh also, I really liked the part of my shopping trip where an employee stood there and shook her head at me while Jenna had a full on meltdown because she wasn't big enough to push the cart.  Rude.  This is what I get for going to Walmart.
Maternity clothes? Target maternity tanks and hand-me-down maternity jeans were king this pregnancy!  Not to mention my trusty yoga pants (sans any actual yoga, of course)
Sleep:  There were definite ups and downs, but I think I slept better at night overall this pregnancy than I was expecting to.  And I had WAY less weird dreams.  Unfortunately, the night before I went into labor I decided it would be a good idea to stay up super late and work on every meaningless project ever...or maybe I just binged on Netflix.  I can't remember because I'm (unsurprisingly) still quite sleep deprived 

Best thing about pregnancy overall:  There are a lot of really great things about pregnancy.  Everybody always tells you how cute you are, your hormones can do awesome inexplicable things like make the hair on your head really thick and your leg hair basically stop growing, you wear tight shirts everyday without a care in the world, you get a free pass for eating seconds on everything, and the best parking spots at Kroger...BUT!  BUT!  BUT! Actually having that little tiny human at the end of it all?  I mean, there's just no contest. 
Miss Anything? The thing I missed most during this pregnancy was my mobility/comfort.  It's tough running around after a 1-year-old when you're carrying 30+ extra pounds and can't twist or bend like you used to!  [However, side note: there are huge perks to having a 1-year-old around when pregnant.  Besides the cute factor and the part where I love her and stuff, it was awesome having her around because she totally picked up after me and would run and get me things when getting up off the floor just seemed way too hard.  Love my little helper!]
Movement: Juliette was so active!!  She moved a lot, but it was a lot less like kicking and a lot more like just getting comfortable in there...she loved stretching herself aallllll the way out (
which involved pushing out on opposite sides of my stomach, which both feels and looks totally bizarre) and tossing around until she found just the right place to curl up.  They actually had a really hard time monitoring my contractions and Juliette's heartbeat during labor because she kept moving around so much.
Food cravings: Sweets!!!  Nuff said.
Anything making you queasy or sick: Other than my one week of chicken aversion, I didn't have too many issues with queasiness.  PTL!!!
The baby bump: I mean, what is there to say?  I was pretty large and in charge there for a while, and practically busting out of my skin at the end.  I think I might've been bigger with this pregnancy, or maybe Juliette was just lower...but I DEFINITELY had to waddle quite a bit in those last few weeks.  I mean, it wasn't an option.  My legs literally did not have room to move straight forward
Gender: Girl!!  I'm already having so much fun putting her in all of Jenna's old clothes...and we've only dipped into the footie pajamas so far.  They're so cute!! <3
Labor Signs: I felt like I had labor signs for SO long!!  The waiting was so hard because I just wanted to meet Juliette, but it made things go much quicker in the end, which I definitely appreciated!!
Belly Button in or out? Sooooo far out!  Jenna loved it, Jacob hated it, and I finally got my outie back after all these years.  It was a nice reunion, old friend.
Wedding rings on or off? They ended up off.  I couldn't squeeze them back on my finger in the end if I wanted to.  Luckily I was able to put them on again at about a week postpartum, so I'm not permanently sausage-fingered
Happy or Moody most of the time:  Overall happy, but I had a lot of anxiety during this pregnancy!  I really wasn't expecting that, but I think I just wanted to make sure I did things right AND I had a much better idea of what I'd be missing if something went wrong!! I know there are no guarantees ever, but I'm just super happy that she's out safe and sound

Looking forward to: Watching my girls grow up together!  I can't wait to see their relationship grow...I love them both so much!!

No comments:

Post a Comment