Monday, June 20, 2016

Jenna 2.6

Age: 2 1/2 years old
Milestones: She's really into making choices.  She loves putting an item in each hand, bobbing them up and down like a see saw, and asking, "Whatchu want?"  When we were planning her birthday party she asked, "Can I have eggs at my party?"  I told her she could and she said victoriously, "YES!" and then added very matter-of-factly, "We will eat eggs at my party!  That is my choice."  
She's also getting more and more creative and able to come up with different ideas on her own.  One day we were singing a song version of "This Little Piggy" and she asked, "Mom, are the piggies in an airplane?"  I said, "Hm, I'm not sure.  Why do you ask?"  And she very simply replied, "I just thought maybe the piggies were in an airplane.  That was my thought."  I don't know what it was about that comment that struck a chord with me, but I just remember thinking we were at a new level, developmentally. 
My Favorites: Her sense of style.  She's all about the accessories, whether it's a hat, sunglasses, or socks on her hands.  She insists on wearing rainboots with her tutus and her rainbow pony sweatshirt (named "Steven") goes over just about everything.  I also LOVE that she is able to create her own songs and imagination play!  It started with her singing a few words...she'd sing something like "Sliding on the slide..." and then say, "Sing it, Mom!" and expect me to sing a whole song about sliding haha.  But then she started making up her own songs!  Have you not heard the hit single, "There's A Frog In My House"?  The verse even (amazingly) rhymes..."There's a frog in the sky, there's a frog on the door, there's a frog in the oven, and it goes to the floor."  Genius.
I also love watching her learn to use the English language and especially when she hasn't quite figured it out yet.  For example:  Do you like this song?  =  Are you like this song?  and Do you want to play with me? =  Are you want to play with you?
Her Favorites: Her family...she relates everything back to her family.  If she sees any grouping of anything (dinosaurs, snails, rocks, you name it) she immediately designates which one is Mommy, Daddy, Jenna, and Juliette and then it becomes a family.  She also loves horses, dinosaurs, cats, mermaids, looking for Easter eggs, construction machines (that I've called "diggers"  "pushers"  "breakers"  etc. because I don't know what they're really called), feeding Juliette, playing with the hose, accessories, Snapchat, making tunnels and forts with blankets, baking, the zoo, feeding the birds, being a big helper and having braids in her hair.
Surprises: I have to say, it was "There's A Frog In My House."  I don't think I've ever been more surprised than when she hopped up on a chair and gave an impromptu performance of that little number.  And that really sweet moment when we were sitting together and she asked, "How can I pray for YOU, Mommy?" 
Other Notable Moments:  A series of visits from several family members!  It was so funny to see her interact with them.  She ALWAYS wanted to be talking to them, but sometimes didn't know what to say or was feeling shy, so her go-to conversation starter was "LOOKIT!" and then she would hold up some random object or do a jump or kick or something.  It's now a classic family catchphrase.  
Looking Forward To...: More.  Just more.  More sister bonding, more goofy songs, more fashion statements, more sweet moments.  More of it all :)


No comments:

Post a Comment